Reps probe $1bn arms procurement, demand release of dead soldiers’ names


https://guardian.ng/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/House-of-Reps-1062x598.jpg
The House of Representatives, on Tuesday, began investigation into the 1 billion dollar appropriated for procurement of arms and equipment in the fight against Boko Haram in the North East.
The lawmakers also demanded that the Nigerian Army should, after due consultations with families of soldiers killed in the Nov. 18, insurgents’ attack in Metele village in Borno, release all their names.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that President Muhammadu Buhari had approved the release of 1 billion dollars for the procurement of security equipment to be used in the fight against Boko Haram insurgents.
“The House notes that according to reports, the insurgents carted away large consignment of weapons from the Melete army base which security experts say would embolden them and pose great danger.
“The House observed that while the news of the attack and death toll continued to increase, neither the President nor the Minister of Defense or the army authorities said anything about the report as there was silence for more than five days.
“The House notes that the President and C-In-C finally broke his silence six days after the attack in a statement issued on his behalf,” he said.
“The House recalls that twice in three years, the Commander-In-Chief gave directives to service chiefs to permanently relocate to the Theatre Command Centre in Maiduguri until Boko Haram is defeated,” He said it was disheartening that with the recent happenings in the North, all the successes and gains made against the insurgents had been reversed.

No comments:

Most Read posts

Featured post

We have moved to : www.zionmenthussy.com

Folks this is our last post here. we have moved, Find us at:  https://www.zionmenthussy.com/ thanks.